Uilenkraalsmond, was first used as a Christmas/December camping site by early European settlers in the mid-to-late 1800’s. The Settlers would outspan their Oxen driven Wagons for a month beach Christmas holiday at the Uilkraal River estuary, at what is now known as the small community and camping/caravaning park of Uilenkraalsmond Resort.
Access to Uilkraal was only along the old ossewa tracks and many stories are told of the mission to cross 'Wolf-se-kop', om te gaan uitspan!' (head of the wolf), but even though the R43 was only completed in 1988 (Uilkraal bridge) it was then already one of the largest caravan camps in the Southern Hemisphere with over 700 semi-permanant houses and 300 odd camping sites.
The Pleasure Park was built in the late eighties with a Putt-Putt, Super-Tube and an Open-Air Disco outside the Resort where young and old could relax and play into the night.
In 1992 Owls Public House was started and is one of the oldest pubs in Gansbaai environs, renowned for laid back atmosphere where old friends meet again... Owls was the original Sports Bar, as outside the season Big Screens were installed and all major sporting events shown. Keeping up with the times the 15 m2 screen is now Full HD with Surround Sound to give a 'In the Arena' feeling - and with seating for over 200 it is the place to be.
Owls is still a family-run concern, open weekends and School Holidays.